I have never said that this site is finished. There will always be pieces to add. And so, I thought I would recruit all the talent that's out there to add bits to the site that I might not be able to achieve myself.
Mail me if there's anything you can contribute!
I'd like to be able to host animations that are viewable on the site. GIF is banned from this site, MNG is too large, and the only reason I use the Quicktime-compatible FLC is because it compresses well into a ZIP file. But what I'd really like is Flash animations. I have no idea how to program Flash... can anyone else do it? Those who do will be sent GIF versions of the FLC animations published on the demos page to start with. I'd also like to know if converting them to Flash would screw up the picture quality in any way.
Sonic contributions would be much appreciated! What I am looking for is the following:
- Are there any composers out there? Can any of you write music? If so, get to work on it! I am looking for an "official" theme tune for any future Rick III. I wanted to keep it in the same style as the original games, but with added effects such as drums, a twiddly guitar or keyboard solo, etc. Those of you who would like to have a go, grab a copy of Noteworthy Composer.
- A smaller set of sound effects for the ST. Currently they're in bandwidth-hungry MP3 format. It must be possible to make direct sound rips from the ST - does anyone know about this?
- Sound effects ripped from Rick 2, for the Amiga. I have had a contribution for Rick 1 so far. I could try this myself but it would be laborious - it took long enough to do it with the ST, and the Amiga has the added complication of being able to play more than one sound effect at a time. This would probably require skilled reverse engineering. Can anybody do it?
- Sound effects ripped from the 8-bits. I've got a substantially complete set for the C64 - that's .SID files for Rick 1 and 2, and also IT, S3M and SID-to-MIDI extracts for Rick 1. What I still need is IT, SID-to-MIDI and S3M files for Rick 2, and .AY rips of just about everything for the Spectrum.
At this update (19.06.2005), the graphics page is substantially complete, but there is one thing missing...
- Sprites and tiles from the 8-bit versions. I know it's a bizarre idea to aim for the old versions, but I reckon there's a use for it...
- A remake of Rick 2. Seriously, anything! All remakes seem to have been directed at Rick 1 so far. A PC version that runs at proper speed would be fantastic...
- Any new levels for the original games? There was Rick 2½, a very short extension to Rick 2, and that was all!
- An extended 8-bit game. If there are any Spectrum, C64 or Amstrad programmers still out there, how about trying to extend the 8-bit games to include all the 16-bit levels?