PROJECT 46: EXPLORATION PART TWO -
THE GREAT SHULKER HUNT
I told you the exploration wasn't over. Minecraft 1.11 introduced probably the most useful item ever - the shulker box, a portable storage system with 27 inventory slots to fill, that can also be broken, picked up and stored in an Ender chest for a truly immense amount of portable storage space. Being so useful, it's very hard to obtain the raw materials for it - two shulker shells are required, and shulkers are only found in End cities, which are few and far between, scattered all over a realm with terrifying deadly drops everywhere. And shulkers don't respawn, so it's not just a case of waiting for the city to regenerate...
I am going to follow Xisumavoid's guidelines of how to be successful in this quest, given in Hermitcraft episode 564. He explains the technique of "40-40 flying" (as will I, later) as well as what the best items are to take to ensure success.
So, from The Armoury I have made the following changes:
- left behind the Armour of Guile in favour of the Wings of Wrath, so I can fly in the first place;
- changed Dragon's Bane Mk.III for Flyer Fox, the Punch II / Infinity bow that will keep me airborne;
- changed the Hammer of Retribution for the Hammer of Misfortune, as Silk Touch lets me pick up an Ender chest;
- brought the all-new Deflektor shield to block the shulkers' projectiles;
- brought a stash of Ender pearls to span small gaps and return to the ground without killing myself;
- brought a stash of disposable scaffolding - I'm using netherrack;
- brought an anvil to repair things that might need repairing that don't have Mending enchantments;
- brought a crafting bench - obviously!
The purpose of this exercise is to obtain 32 shulker shells, allowing 16 shulker boxes to be crafted - one in each colour, which I will keep in the Ender chest, thus increasing its capacity by 16 times what it used to be (and a bit). So I've also put one piece of each dye in the Ender chest.
END CITY ONE
|Entrance coordinates: EX -3484 : EY +62 : EZ +352
SHULKERS KILLED: 6
SHULKER SHELLS OBTAINED: 3
SHULKER BOXES BUILT: 0
END CITY TWO
|Entrance coordinates: EX -5043 : EY +64 : EZ +432
SHULKERS KILLED: 49
SHULKER SHELLS OBTAINED: 33
SHULKER BOXES BUILT: 5
END "CITY" THREE
|Central coordinates: EX -5301 : EY +140 : EZ +305
SHULKERS KILLED: 52
SHULKER SHELLS OBTAINED: 35
SHULKER BOXES BUILT: 16
At the end, with all 16 shulker boxes created and hence space for 432 stacks of items (or 27,468 in total) I went on a massive mining session which lasted until all 16 boxes were filled (plus some spare space in the Ender chest I keep them in, and with my hands full as well). This is what I brought back with me:
1,057 iron ore
297 gold ore
1,630 lapis lazuli
Mining, on those rare occasions I will need to do it, just became so much more practical.